Friday, September 21, 2007

The more things change, the more they become different...

So, a few of you may notice that my half-assed attempt at writing regularly in this blogs previous format have ceased. Some may even have noticed that my attention has been distracted of late from the topics which I had written about in the last academic year. These changes have occured quite by chance, through the miracle of Craigslist, in the form of a new (paying) job in a field I had never really considered seriously. As I attempt to reinvent myself as the immaculate product developer, this blog will focus on material culture, design and consumer products.

And what better way to kick off an ongoing exploration of these topics than by documenting a month-long trip to the modern heart of consumer product manufacturing: China. Andrea and I will be leaving for Beijing on the 27th of September, we will stay in Beijing for about 2 weeks, as Andrea completes research on her thesis (see her blog at sustainabilitygap.blogspot.com), then on to Shanghai and the Yangtze Delta for about 10 days, then back to Beijing for the 7th International Conference on Sport and the Environment. During the course of this journey, I want to use this space to not only show the tourist sights and landmarks of China, but also the material culture: the myriad products made and consumed in China.

Because we will be packing lightly, and bringing back purchases for ourselves (already on the list: tailored suits, rugs and communist kitsch) I will be happy to arrange the purchase and transportation of any items which I post here, if you are interested. If there are things you would like me to look for, please leave a comment and I'll se what I can do. Just think of me as your private shopper in the manufacturing capitol of the world...

6 days now, and counting...

No comments: